After finally gathering the materials and finding some time when my friend was available to assist, I set to building a platform upon which to build my cockpit.
A few months ago, I designed the base using SketchUp. In that post, I had to guess at many measurements from photos and data sheets I found online. Now that I have actually received the major components, it was time to see how close I was. Surprisingly, it all matched up almost perfectly. The only change I made was to lengthen the base another 6 inches to make sure I had plenty of room for the pilot’s seat and to clear both overhead panels.
It all started with a 4′ x 6.5′ sheet of 5/8″ MDF. Here, my friend is setting up a box fan as it was about 109F outside!
Underneath, we mounted vertical 2×4 studs to the base for structural support and rigidity.
Horizontal 2×4 studs were used for corner reinforcement and to provide a place to attach the six 3″ hard rubber casters.
Finally, we painted it in RAL 7011 Boeing Grey paint, covered the top with matching industrial grade carpet, and added aluminium stair edge trim around the edges.
It is extremely strong and rigid, and each caster is rated for 175 lbs. This gives me the ability to move it about the small room when I need access to certain areas. And that has already come in handy numerous times.
In the main picture, you can see how much room the JetMax SKTQ, Throttle Quadrant, and CPFlight Pedestal take up on the new platform. They are not fastened down yet, as I need to fit the computers on the platform behind the MIP, make sure the JetMax overhead support bracket has clearance, and mount the Saitek Yoke and pedals.
More to come!